The EU and Algeria Association Agreement has enabled a rapprochement between Algeria and the EU through close technical cooperation on the various axes of the agreement. But a few areas, such as tariff dismantling, the growth of Algerian exports to the EU, or the attraction of foreign direct investment from the EU remain a challenge for technical cooperation. The objective of the P3A II program was to promote the success of the partnership between the EU and Algeria.
The EU and Algeria Association Agreement constitutes the legal framework governing relations between the parties in economic, commercial, political, social, and cultural matters. The P3A II program used technical assistance to support the implementation of the Association Agreement, assist the Ministry of Finance in the public finance reform process; and build institutional capacity.
OUR GOALS AND RESULTS
The general goal was to strengthen the strategic partnership between the EU and Algeria and to support the implementation of the EU/Algeria Association Agreement. Results included:
- Served as contractual Authority for contractual management and coordination of all the programme's instruments: Technical Assistance, "twinning" contracts, and "TAIEX" missions and "SIGMA" missions
- Supported the Algerian Government on regulatory and legislative framework reforms including the Customs Code and the Intellectual Property Law, as well as supported upgrading the regulations governing the quality and accreditation system
- Built the capacity of the Ministry of Industry and MSMEs to strengthen the growth of the private sector and diversification of Algerian economy and improve the competitiveness of Algerian MSMEs to promote exports, including the Business Upgrade Programme as part of the creation of the free trade area
- Supported efforts to modernize and restructure the industry by facilitating access finance through grants and loans
- Developed human resources and industrial potential through better use of innovation, research, and technological development policies
- Implemented the communication strategy of the Ministry of Industry for promoting private and foreign investment into the Algerian private sector
- Strengthened the capacities of ALGERAC (Organisme Algérien d'Accréditation), the Algerian accreditation body
- Provided Technical Assistance and capacity building to the Ministry of Commerce by strengthening the consumer protection system through the effective functioning of the National Consumer Protection Council. Supported drafting and advocacy for reforms of the Anti-dumping Law and Safeguard Measures
- Supported the Directorate General of Tourism to improve the quality of service and to promote Public-Private Sector Dialogue for the development of the sector to attract foreign investment for the modernisation of its infrastructures
- Established and implemented a communication plan for programme activities that focused on improving existing tools