A landlocked country of just over 4,000 square miles, Kosovo’s current energy landscape is heavily reliant on coal-based electricity generation. However, with aging infrastructure, this generation struggles to meet the population’s growing electricity needs. Under the USAID KESS Activity, DT Global equips USAID/Kosovo with a mechanism that provides technical assistance across the Kosovo energy sector, primarily to the Ministry of Economy (ME), for the design and implementation of energy security projects in the country. This assistance strengthens the Government of Kosovo’s (GOK) continuing efforts to diversify the country’s existing electricity sector to provide for a more reliable, cleaner, and affordable electric energy supply.
USAID KESS provides assistance using the advisory services of its technical energy experts, who ensure well-balanced energy planning and the correct project implementation for Kosovo. USAID KESS offers a full range of long-term and quick-response professional services, focusing on the promotion of private sector energy investment, strategic communications, and renewable energy source (RES) development. This specific technical assistance is implemented though a series of Job Orders.
USAID KESS provides independent advice to the ME, and other key government and national stakeholders such as Kosovo Energy Corporation (KEK), for energy infrastructure projects. The primary focus is to support transactions for the development of electricity generation. This assistance may include on-going risk analysis to determine the likely impacts of provisions in transaction documents, responding to short-notice requests and questions, and developing white papers on transaction related issues as may be requested. Continued assistance will monitor, advise, and propose suitable actions to the ME to ensure effective implementation of commitments, agreements, and market relationships to enhance the prospects for a successful operation.
Click here to learn more about how KESS is changing the energy security of supply landscape in Kosovo.
OUR GOALS AND RESULTS
To date, USAID KESS has supported the ME and other GOK institutions to achieve the following:
- Delivery of report on Assessment of PV Generators in Kosovo.
- Support on regulatory barriers and finance options for business prosumers and the implementation of standardized requests for minimum conditions to become prosumers.
- Providing strategic communications support and RES outreach for the ME.
- Organization of Kosovo Solar Forum and Kosovo Just Energy Transition Workshop for the ME.
- Supporting the Association of Women in the Energy Sector of Kosovo (AWESK) in capacity building, organizational promotion, public communication, and networking.
- Delivery of a KRPP Comprehensive Financial Model providing financial, operational and performance analysis tools to the facility.
- Drafting of a State Guarantee application.
- Drafting of a Kosovo Power Supply Options Study.
- Providing legal advisory services to the New Kosovo Electric Company (NKEC).