Foreign investment and export markets can act as drivers of
economic growth. Global economic integration, particularly access to capital
investment flows, and formal integration into the global economy is critical to
economic and social development outcomes. But this integration can be difficult
for Pacific Island countries, where small land and population size, and remoteness
of nations, can inhibit investment and raise shipping and infrastructure
maintenance costs. Limitations of size and scale also mean that Pacific Island
countries generally have narrowly based economies which are not easily
The Pacific Agreement on Closer Economic Relations (PACER) Plus
is a landmark trade, investment, and development agreement designed to meet
these challenges by working to lower barriers to trade, provide greater
certainty for businesses, raise living standards, create jobs, and increase
exports across the Pacific. The PACER Plus Implementation Unit has been
established to implement the Treaty and related arrangements by managing the
day-to-day development and implementation of the Development and Economic
Cooperation Work Programme and expenditure of associated resources. In 2021, DT
Global was contracted by DFAT as the Contracted Service Provider, supporting
the establishment of the PACER Plus Implementation Unit and ensuring efficient
and effective operation in all its functions. Starting in July 2022, DT Global
was contracted directly by the PACER Plus Implementation Unit to support
administrative systems, procedures, and policies to support the Work Programme's
design, implementation, and monitoring.
OUR GOALS AND RESULTS
- Trade in Goods: Participating countries begin efficient and transparent implementation of Agreement commitments on rules of origin; customs; sanitary and phytosanitary measures; and technical regulations, standards, and conformity assessment procedures.
- Trade in Services: Participating countries adapt, improve, and harmonize regulations for, reduce barriers to, and facilitate trade in services.
- Investment: Participating countries increase investor awareness of PACER Plus opportunities, identify and resolve impediments to investment, and improve the investment climate in their countries.
- Labour Mobility: Regulatory reforms encourage more women and men to engage in labour mobility and remit savings to their families.
- Private Enterprise Response: Private sector enterprises increase the value, composition, and number of trade transactions.
- Implementation Unit Performance: The Implementation Unit efficiently and effectively manages delivery of the Work Program.